- steel wool
- nouna mass of woven steel fibers used as an abrasive• Syn: ↑wire wool• Hypernyms: ↑abrasive, ↑abradant, ↑abrasive material
* * *noun: an abrasive material composed of long fine steel shavings and used especially for scouring and burnishing
* * *a tangled or matted mass of stringlike steel shavings, used for scouring, polishing, smoothing, etc.[1895-1900]
* * *steel wool nounSteel shavings used for cleaning and polishing• • •Main Entry: ↑steel
* * *steel wool UK US noun [uncountable]wire woolThesaurus: machines and equipment used for cleaninghyponym
* * *steel wool,a mass of long, fine steel shavings, used for cleaning or polishing surfaces.
* * *n. fine strands of steel matted together into a mass, used as an abrasive
* * *noun [noncount]: long threads of metal that are wound together to form a rough pad which is used for cleaning and polishing things
* * *ˌsteel ˈwool [steel wool] (BrE also ˌwire ˈwool) noun uncountablea mass of fine steel threads that you use for cleaning pots and pans, making surfaces smooth, etc.See also: ↑wire wool
Useful english dictionary. 2012.